2016 has been an intense roller coaster ride, and I hope that 2017 will not try to top that off in terms of pretending to be the Hellevator ride at Playland and raising people up, then harshly dropping them down without any warnings.
For my New Years Resolution of 2017, I want to set more professional goals as I will be graduating with my second Bachelor this year in Education. Similar to a 5-year or 10-year plan, this will be my 1-year plan of things I strive to achieve. I will keep myself accountable and reminded of my goals at the end of every month, like how I have done before. I want to set realistic, yet ambitious goals that will continue to push me forward and make me reach out for what I want.
- Get to know someone better in my cohort program (eg. hanging out together, learning something new about them)
- Reach out to other people from other cohorts (eg. learning each other’s names, saying hello to each other when we pass by in the hallways, learning about each other)
- Establish and maintain relationships with my instructors (eg. seeing me as an individual meaning that they won’t get my name mixed up with someone else’s, make small talk, learn from their experiences)
- Create a fun and safer learning environment for my practicum class (eg. making students see my role as a teacher, creating fun lesson plans that will make students want to learn more, getting along with and receiving mentorship from the teachers at my practicum school)
- Create work that I am proud of (eg. unit and lesson plans, research packages, syntheses, presentations)
I will continue to set goals throughout the year, but these five particular goals will be the starting point for me as I begin to step forward and see myself as a true teacher. I hope that by the end of 2017, I will have had successful interviews at the school districts I apply to and land a teaching job (be it a TOC or full time position).